Missionary Journal March 13, 1970

 

March 13, 1970

The next week was very long.  In addition to normal work we sought out materials and formulated plans for the “mfd”.  I did a lot of growing that week. Thursday, Brother T. and I taught Bro. M. a 3rd.   I did not have my lesson book to study, and I worked hard to call to memory the discussion as we drove to Bainbridge Island.  It came back slowly, but I felt prepared as we entered the M. Home.  We spent two hours discussing the Word of Wisdom.  Bro. M. is sincere and straight forward.  He moves through the material  slowly,  almost as if his brilliance drags him down.  His understanding of much of the gospel is very thorough.  I challenged him to live the W of W for a couple of days—no problem—so I asked him to live it until I saw him again; after his two week trip.  He jokingly asked  if we couldn’t reconsider and meet again before his trip!!!  One of Poulsbo mfd’s, J. C., visited Bro. M. on the 7th.  J. knows him well and said if he’d lay down his worldly ambitions long enough to take on the gospel, he’d be much better off. 

Lots of things have tended to humble me lately.   Teaching with Bro. T. was choice.  T. often acts like a fool, but he has a vast knowledge of the gospel.  He is a good man.  I ought to mention how well Bro. & Sister T., our landlords, look after us.  They certainly are choice.

Another humbling experience came on that Tuesday the 3rd.  Elder E. and I taught a 4th to F. S.  F. asked about the Negro.  Elder E. said the 5th discussion told why.  I hadn’t reviewed my 5th, but I figured E. could carry it.  Then C. came in – he doesn’t know his discussions!  E. left.  The three of us taught the discussion—two elders and the Holy Spirit.

Saturday was the big day—“missionary for a day” in Poulsbo.  I suppose I could go through all that happened—but I’ll try to keep this a spiritual account.  The day began with prayer.  After breakfast we showed the mission orientation film.  Bishop T. gave a fired up talk about missionary work.   It helped to set the spirit of the day.

Elders W., C. E. and   G. assisted us. There were 13 mfd’s. I paired off with K.B. and M.M.  We had a beautiful day.  We visited many families that K. knew.  The G.’s really fought our message.  It was saddening to see how deceived they were.  They had found a church to fit them.  Little do they know that we must fit Christ’s church and not visa versa.  K. bore strong testimony, but it was of no avail.  I guess we cannot help people who are comfortable in a religion that fits them.  Little do they realize Satan will not allow them to become uncomfortable enough to continue in their search for truth.  Little to they realize there is no real joy, or real pain, without the fullness of the truth.  Paradise is knowing Christ lives and that he loves us.  It is knowing who we are and where we’re going.  It is knowing the commandments and living according to them.  Hell is the state of the soul that knows the truth but is unrepentant of his transgression.

We were late to see Sister M. She was disappointed.  Nonetheless, as K. and M. told her their stories, the Spirit waxed strong.  M. closed with prayer.  It was a short but very spiritual encounter.

On the way back to Bremerton, M. broke down in tears.  He had found his testimony of the gospel and he was just realizing it.  We feared we’d be late for the testimony meeting, and took the chance to share our testimonies on the way home. 

We did not miss the meeting.  The others waited for us.  We held a testimony meeting in the chapel. All bore strong testimonies.  Some had not ever borne their testimony; others had determined to go on missions as a result of the activities of the day. I was often moved to tears.  The testimony meeting was the highlight of the day. I felt relieved and very grateful to Heavenly Father.

After the testimony meeting, we moved directly into F’s baptism.  The D boys were also baptized that evening.  Yes, March 7th was another memorable 7th in my life.

******************************************************************************

for information about Poulsbo: https://cityofpoulsbo.com/#

or   https://cityofpoulsbo.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/PMC-StayPlayBro.pdf




 for photos of Bremerton: http://www.bremertonwa.gov/gallery.aspx?AID=8

WSF_PGH_0009

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Missionary Journal April 8th, 1970

Missionary Journal March 21, 1970

Missionary Journal 1970