Missionary Journal March 21, 1970

                                                                    

Missionary Journal March 21, 1970

I still marvel at the Saturday of March 7th.  It was indeed choice.  On Monday, March 9, we taught M. E. He was wanting to procrastinate his baptism, but I persuaded him to be baptized on the scheduled date—the 14th.  I performed both baptism and confirmation.  I was nervous, but fasting and prayer aided me.

I am learning that a missionary must be totally dedicated.  He cannot be preoccupied with future marital plans, stereo sets, cars, his pending release, etc.  These things distract and draw the elder away from his task.  They subtly undermine his effectiveness.  The elder who constantly dwells on his release or his fiancée instills either depression or a sense of competition into his companion.  It in effect demoralizes the companionship if allowed to continue.  A missionary can’t have his heart strings tied to a lass and do the Lord’s work fully.

Zone conference was March 17th. The President admonished me to adhere strictly to the mission rules and to work hard.  We had a pleasant chat.  I do not think I am to worry about my Temple Recommend.  Every time I pray about it, I promptly forget it. I did well on the written test in Z. Conf.  I had the highest score.  The testimony meeting was choice.   Each Elder had a special witness to bear.  Elder G., my DL, has certainly grown in his new position.  I am growing to love and appreciate him.  We get along well together.  We seem to grow from each other’s experiences.  Elder E. is our new AP; I will miss him.  Elder S. will be a fine ZL.

I am finding the counsel of Terry Warner to be very helpful.  Studying to scriptures daily and faithfully is a key to successful living. I am going to try to keep this a record of spiritual events of my mission.  Entries may therefore be sporadic.  My testimony of the truthfulness of the gospel is growing.  I know Joseph Smith was a prophet of God.  I pray continually for a strong testimony of that truth.

I gained a deeper understanding of baptism tonight.  It is highly symbolic.  A man is buried in the water signifying death and in similitude of Christ’s death.  He is arisen a new, reborn man—free of sin.  This signifies the beginning of a new life. The white clothes show his purity.  The raising is in similitude of the resurrection, ie; new life and life eternal.  



March 27, 1970

One of the most difficult things to understand about missionary work is the total dedication that is required for success.  A missionary must be diligent to the extent that it “hurts.”  He cannot be looking forward to releases, school, girlfriends, etc.  He must not watch TV or listen to the radio or become engrossed in his favorite athletic team. The missionary is perceptive to every opening for contacts.  He looks at every non-member as a gold mine of referrals.  With such an outlook he will not miss any opportunities.

Monday, Brother T. and I taught a golden first.  S.W. is a traveling saleswoman.  She had heard about the Church and visited it once.  Thursday she left for another area.  I gave her names and addresses to contact – also gave her a Book of Mormon.  I Certainly hope her interest continues.

Last night we talked with Brother D. K.  He’s fired up.  Some ways he suggest to promote the missionary effort were:  split up with stake missionaries every night; stakies to learn the discussions; assign active families to inactive part member families; work long hard hours; use seventies, friendship (correlation program); play ball with investigators.

Elder C. and I have been listening to the “follow-up” tapes while we travel.  I hope to use some of the same logic used on the tapes in overcoming objections.  I am going to set up a study program to control my study habits.  I’ve been here in Bremerton for 10 weeks!

*Bill’s mission scriptures:

                                                               

**************************************
C. Terry Warner


Dr. C. Terry Warner, a native of San Francisco, grew up with a stutter so severe that he felt he could scarcely talk. In his BYU address “Honest, Simple, Solid, True,” he explains that as a compensatory measure he became “brash, loud, boastful, and competitive.” Overcoming his stutter took years of hard work. While studying acting in New York at the Stella Adler Studio, he contemplated how overcoming his stutter had led to a mental reformation; he realized his desire to be a good and honest person was stronger than his desire to impress his fellowmen. This realization inspired a life of service that left those around Dr. Warner better for having known him.

After serving a full-time mission to Great Britain, Brother Warner earned a BA in history from Brigham Young University and a PhD in philosophy from Yale. He then became a member of the BYU faculty in 1967, where he acted as professor of philosophy, chair of the Philosophy Department, director of the Honors Program, and dean of the College of General Studies. For his work he was awarded Professor of the Year, Honors Professor of the Year, and the Karl G. Maeser Excellence in Teaching Award.


********************************************************************************


First page of Scripture Study for Missionaries



Comments

  1. Great information for our future missionaries. Also for me to remember studying the scriptures is key!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Missionary Journal April 8th, 1970

Missionary Journal 1970