Missionary Blog 1970
April 19, 1970
I’m now a District Leader Companion in Kent. My companion is Elder M.B. He’s quite a fellow. It seems as though his mission has changed him somewhat. Nonetheless, he’s still very liberal. Elder B. is a serious thinker. He is highly critical and examines things closely. I doubt that he accepts anything at face value. He is really concerned about missionary work. The Lord’s work is important. He came on a mission because a girl he liked wanted a Returned Missionary. He wanted to be the type of guy she would want. Since then he has dedicated himself to the Lord’s work. He admits to his own weaknesses, but still maintains his goals. I believe he’s attaining a great deal of humility. Elder B. is extremely perceptive, extremely sensitive.
In development meeting on Tuesday we read The Little Prince. We talked on goals and “matters of
consequence.” Right now I am seriously
wondering: what is success? Where should my goals be? What are “matters of consequence”
in missionary work? I am terribly ambitious—even
“overbearing.” Now I’m trying to set realistic goals and work at an efficient
rate. Already I have the reputation as
an unfairly hard worker. (another “machine”?)
I know success on a mission is not constituted by numbers or offices
held. It is something “within.” Yet, I must know where I want to go. (I want to
be DL by next January.) I need something
to measure my progress. I know I have
the administrative talents. Do I have
the personal maturity to handle people
properly?
Goals have been the subject of a great deal of discussion
and controversy lately. Goals are
necessary—they give one direction and should spur him on to optimum
achievement. They must be clear cut and
understandable. They cannot be too easy
to attain lest a person not work his best.
When the goal is set too high a man cannot meet it. Thus, he falls short and fails. To fall short of a goal is to fail; even if
the goal was an unrealistic one. As
goals are consistently out of reach one loses confidence in his abilities. So, goals must be set wisely—not to low; high
enough to cause a man to reach, but not so high that they can never be
attained. Setting goals; consider three
things—current prospects, past performance, personal abilities.
Elder Mc. and I had a good chat on Wednesday. He aske me if I were taking Fridays off!!! News travels quickly in the mission! He cautioned me not to be a work horse. Elder B. has also reminded me of the importance of balance. It seems to me Andy Kimball* gave an excellent talk on balance before I left on my mission. Elder Mc. Told me as I kept my goals within reach, I’d be happier and more successful. Elders who set their goals too high often fail, then become discouraged, and then underachieve. Apparently Elder Mc. was once a very strict missionary –( now he’s just strict!) At any rate he told me he had loosened up enough to get better results. It’s part of that balance. We talked about our conversion to the gospel. He too is a convert….a Presbyterian! We will have to get a chance to talk to each other.
********************************************************************************
**Andrew Kimball (1927-2020), Son of President Spencer W. Kimball, was a High Priest in the Short Hills Ward, the first building in New Jersey. This was the ward that supported Bill on his mission.
https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/deseretnews/obituary.aspx?n=andrew-kimball&pid=195022742&fhid=13417
| Andrew Kimball |


It’s fun to learn new things about Dad. Thanks for your wok on these Mom. Dad always did drive to have goals and taught us the importance of them!
ReplyDelete