Missionary Journal for June 4, 1970

 

June 4, 1970

 Well a lot has happened since my last entry.  Once again I have a new companion, Elder C.  Elder B. has been gone for three weeks.  Nonetheless he is still fresh in my memory.  We worked hard, but not hard enough.  We taught a few people.  Brother K. asked to be taught; he was contemplating a divorce and he wanted spiritual comfort.  He was sincere in his desire to be close to God but he was lazy.  He wanted a golden solution, a spiritual recreation..but he wanted us to feed it to him..to perform some sort of miracle.  He dropped out of the program.

 I suppose I’m rather discouraged now.  We’re not teaching many golden people.  Nobody is ready for baptism.  I have learned to really talk to people ”at the door.”  You have to make a friend of everyone and then bear them your testimony.  Elder B. And I engaged in many good conversations at doors. 

Working with Elder H. a few weeks ago was a choice experience.  I had the chance to show someone how much “fun” the labor can be.  Elder H. and I get along well together.  He has only been out 2 ½ months.  He was just transferred to Bremerton to be G’s DLC.  He has a good spirit about him.

Elder C. left for home a few weeks ago. He was another elder who matured with responsibility.

I’ve been learning a lot about revelation.  About four or five weeks ago they divided Tacoma State and East Seattle Stake so that a new Renton Stake was formed.  Elder Monson* supervised the organization of the Kent I and II and Renton II,III,IV wards into the new stake.  The East Seattle Stake Center was filled as the newly appointed officers were sustained.  Elder Monson must have been divinely inspired to have chosen so many important officers in such a short time.  The new stake caused a lot of changes on the ward levels.  The reshuffling is still continuing.

The stake formation caused a change in the mission boundaries.  They took the DL out of Kent** and merged Federal Way in Auburn and Kent into Renton.  I’m no longer a DLC.  I find myself practically retraining Elder C.  My new DL, Elder F. has lead quite a rough life. He fought in SLC street gangs, robbed, drank, etc.  He came on a mission because he knew he had to get out of his bad environment.  Now he is a good solid elder.  He’s tough and has a lot of rough edges, but his mission has developed his testimony and allowed him to share it with others.

My testimony of latter-day prophets is growing.  It certainly makes sense that God would reveal his word to righteous and seeking people.  Knowing that we have a prophet is also the factor that keeps Latter Day Saints so strong.  I’ve been challenged recently on why LDS people are so strong.  It goes back to prophets.  These men have lead us in wisdom and with divine guidance.  For instance, the problem of weak families has been considered.  David O. McKay*** stressed Family Home Evening.  And there are many other instances.

 Last night a man told me he’d believe in a Church when Christ came and chose the one HE wanted to live eternally- when Christ visited us.  I bore my testimony that Christ had done just that!! He had called Joseph Smith to restore HIS Church in these latter days.  Christ has chosen the one to unify others.  He has chosen the Church to prepare HIS second coming.  And reasonably enough it is HIS own Church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

 We have a bold message to declare and we must “tell it as it is.”  We have the fullness of the gospel ..not just a man-made fragment of the truth. 

I’ve seen great growth in some of the members her in Kent.  Most outstanding is Brother B.  He was inactive in January.  Sister B. is a recent convert.  She was very active.  In January he began to warm up.  A month ago he was made an elder as he graduated from the adult Aaronic class.  Now he is second counselor to the Sunday School.!  He has grown so beautifully!  Monday he administered to me because my wisdom teeth had been just pulled.  I pray he will continue to grow like he is.  The elders always spend a lot of time at B’s.  Sister B is very good to us.

 Sister A. and Sister B. are very close friends.  They were both married very, very, young.  Sister A. was only 17 or so, and Sister B even younger…

Elder C. is a real trial.  He is still very immature.  He is not responsible at all!  He’s always laughing, almost always happy.  He has an inexhaustible supply of energy!  He sleeps soundly, once his finally gets to bed…..it takes a cannon volley to awaken him each morning.  We came out on the same day.  We enjoy fumbling around together.  It’s quite an adventure.  Elder C. is not learned..he has a beautiful, sincere, simple and direct testimony.  He likes fun but works hard also.  He is going to grow into a good man.  He too left a riotous life to come on a mission.  It seems those who’ve really goofed and then really repented are the best missionaries.  A truly repentant soul is a humble one.  Humility is the key to missionary work.

 ******************************************************************************

 *Elder Monson was an apostle in 1970, age 44 young:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_S._Monson

Thomas S Monson















 **https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent,_Washington


Serving Kent







***https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_O._McKay

David O. McKay







****https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Smith



  





Humility is the key to missionary work.

 

 

 

Comments

  1. I do like how honest he is in his writings. Those who have gone through a lot have a lot more to be thankful for if they see the bigger picture.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Missionary Journal April 8th, 1970

Missionary Journal March 21, 1970

Missionary Journal 1970