Missionary Journal July 9, 1970
July 9, 1970
It has been five long weeks since my last entry. Many things have happened. Around the end of May, Elder C. and began teaching R.A.’s (G)girlfriend V. O. She certainly was a golden contact. We taught her in Sister A.s home She accepted everything beautifully. I was impressed with her meekness and spirituality. Sister A. really grew as a result of seeing the discussions taught. It was Sister A’s love and friendship that made G.’s baptism possible.
The evening of G.s baptism was a humbling experience for
me. Due to a series of errors she had
not been interviewed by the District Leader. As a result, I’d never told her
the hour of the baptism. Sister A. straightened that out. I had arranged a last minute interview that
afternoon. My companion and I were
rushed—we had a 3rd to teach. We arrived at Sister A.’s at 6:00 to
discover the interview had fallen through once again! I was aghast..this threw my timing all
off. In the hour preceding the baptism I
was frantic I felt the Lord had forsaken me for sure. I arrived at the Stake
Center late. Elder Barker who was there
to confirm her, briefed me on what I had to do in baptizing her. Brother L.S. gave a beautiful talk concerning
baptism. Sister A. bore her
testimony. She spoke about the Priesthood
and all of the wonderful things it provided.
All were deeply touched as she stressed at he importance of the gospel
and the authority to officiate in it.
Both G. and I were very nervous.
I even felt inadequate. It took 3 tries to baptize her…I nearly drowned
her. I wanted to crawl into a crack in the floor or something. Elder B. confirmed G. Afterward we met at Sister A.s There was a
beautiful spirit----- I felt calm and relaxed. ….Almost.
That evening G. and also Brother L. and Sister M. went to hear Richard L. Evans* speak…..at Seattle Stake Center. It was great to hear an apostle of the Lord speak. His most impressive statement, “A man does not break the law, he breaks himself against the law.” He also spoke of his acquaintances with many great and knowledgeable men, but said although all were experts, he’d never entrust his salvation to any of them He mentioned the men who plotted our astronauts voyage to the mood were only an average of 23 years old. Joseph Smith was that age when he (translated) the Book of Mormon and restored the Church. The youth of today’s church must also meet today’s challenges.
Monday we journeyed to North Seattle to hear him again in
Zone Conference. Elder B. finally made
sense of what spirituality for a missionary really is. It is a true knowledge of our relationship to
Heavenly Father. It is manifested by
many outward signs. It is strengthened
by prayer, study and true humility. It
requires co-operation with God. Elder
Evans spoke on determination---never get discouraged. He also told of his experiences as a woolen
wares salesman. He never showed a sample
and then said, “my product is not like this,” but said; “ this is my product,
see its high quality!” As missionaries we must present the highest quality LDS
sample we can and be positive, not apologetic at our doors. President W. spoke on total dedication and
asked us to sign a paper committing ourselves to live the rules and go one step
further. I have not signed that paper
yet. Many elders signed the paper on the
spot. I haven’t considered it seriously yet.
There was a choice testimony meeting afterwards. Sister S. bore a beautiful and enthusiastic
testimony. Elder N. dedicated himself
for the rest of his life to the church.
There were many humble testimonies.
Tuesday I showed Man’s Search for Happiness and
played “Miracles”.
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/media/video/2016-10-0002-mans-search-for-happiness-1986?lang=eng
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/media/video/2018-03-0050-the-miracle?lang=eng (not sure if this is the same one)
I’ve encountered many challenging contacts at doors. I’m working with a JW now. I explained to her that a true witness to God
would want to have all of his word. Now
she’s reading the Book of Mormon.
C.B. is an agnostic stewardess. I have talked to her about the existence of
God and of faith. She denies the
importance of faith. I explained without
faith nothing existed. One could not
believe his five senses or the basic premises from which all arguments must be
born. She is not being taught
further.
Another fellow gave me the “I am saved” routine. He was narrow minded and did not want to
listen to the truth. He claimed to
believe all that was in the Bible, but confessed to not knowing what was in
it. Nonetheless refused to believe thigs
which were read to him out of the Bible.
A lost cause…
We can only spend time with people who are sincerely interested. We must screen carefully and humble ourselves
so that we can use our powers of discernment.
George Hone has included his own little sermonettes in my monthly check lately. He intimated that the “one soul converted” spoken of may well be ourselves. I am coming to that realization more and more every day. I must strengthen my testimony constantly. To stagnate is to die in the plan of eternal progression.
Also the narrator for the movie, "Man's Search for Happiness."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_L._Evans
![]() |
| 1st baptism |


I have never seen that picture before of Dad. Thanks Mom for all your hard work in putting these together.
ReplyDelete