Missionary Journal March 3, 1970
Friday, the 3rd,
was a bad day. C. was visiting members
in Tacoma and missed our rendezvous. He made
no effort to contact us. We left him in Tacoma
and went home to Bremerton. At dinner my
anger showed through. Elder G. promised to relive me of my problem—my transfer
was eminent. After dinner Elder W. and I
left to teach Bro. M. We had a good
discussion; showed him the film, “And They Shall Hear My Voice.” Brother M.
desires to know the truth. He finally
realized though that he is going to have to humble himself and pray.
Saturday was Bremerton’s “Missionary For a Day.” President and Sister W., Elders M & E (the assistants to the present), S. (Zone Leader) were there. It ran smoothly. Many invitations to conference and to Bishop H’s lecture were distributed. I worked with K. S., M. and J. S. We tracked most of the day. In the evening I conducted the baptism. Letting the youth do missionary work is a good idea. It strengthens their testimonies and inspires them to want to be missionaries.
I knew the next six days
would be my last in Bremerton. That
night I called Elder G. Before I dialed,
I heard him speaking to Elder W. We were already connected somehow! They spoke of my transfer. Then I dialed and their phone rang.
There were many people I wanted to see. My transfer came Wednesday. Elder C. was surprised. Thursday was devoted to saying ‘good-bye.” I spent my last hours with the M’s, the M’s and the H’s. S. and I had a long talk but it took almost 45 minutes before we could exchange our thoughts without interruption and interference. That night the phone rang until 12:15 or so..calls from my seminary missionaries. Leaving Bremerton is difficult. In fact, Saturday the 11th, Elder B. and I went with Bishop H. to his Bremerton lecture.
I want to say a few words about the people I knew in Bremerton: The M’s were a dedicated missionary family. They fed us often, but moreover gave us unceasing support. They are a simple, strong folk. The M’s were our second home. Each member of the family was special. The t’s were great landlords- Brother T. a wonderful missionary. I’m so happy for G. and B. Elder V. is a hard worker-maybe a little too severe. His positive attitude and dedication were admirable (He’s been a District Leader for 3 weeks now.) Elder V had a good way with people. He was friendly, never slept in, and knew his scriptures very well. Elder W. was strong spiritually. He worked diligently and effectively. He was quiet, having mastered the power of listening. Elder W. felt strongly for people and sought to understand them. Elder S.G…I love that man. He taught me many things. It seemed like he could get along with anyone (actually, he is short of temper!) Elder G. had many challenges as a missionary. He wasn’t always too dedicated. Nonetheless, as a District Leader, he grew tremendously. He utilized the tools he trained with as a missionary; he showed great empathy. We had many long talks about missionary work. He regretted the time he had wasted, but has decided to finish his mission in good fashion. He often says, “Today is the first day of the rest of your mission.” It’s good to see growth and maturity as Elder G. is now going through. Thus ends Bremerton……I’ll endeavor to keep in touch with some of the people. I’ll probably write S. and T.
*****************************************************************
John 10:3 But he that entereth in by the door is
the shepherd of the sheep. 3To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth
his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out. 4And when he putteth
forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they
know his voice.

Comments
Post a Comment