August 4, 1970 Missionary Journal

 

Lewistown

August 4, 1970

This morning I found out I am on my way to Lewiston this Friday.  I’ll be District Leader Companion to Elder J. T.  Although nobody had served official notice of my transfer, I’ve known for quite some time that I’d be going on Friday.  I could sort of sense it.  Maybe the Spirit was just witnessing to me…I was really getting sort of trunky… I cannot say I’m sad to leave, but it’s hard to say good-bye.  I’ve become close to many of the families here in Kent.  I cannot name them all.

Many choice teaching experiences have been our lot recently.  In teaching B. on Thursday there was a conflict with Primary.  She watched Primary until we could begin teaching the lesson.  She was really impressed.  In her closing prayer she mentioned Primary.  On Sunday she brought a friend, G.S.  We taught a 3rd.  In closing B. prayed for G. to know the truth.  B. is slightly golden!  The M’s are coming along well.  The C.’s are preparing for vacation.  All of them are going to be baptized in August.  It’s difficult leaving an area with 8 estimates on the board.

Saturday, K.B. was baptized. Brother B. had never been to another baptism (save his own)  much less baptize someone.  I showed him how to do it Thursday and also explained confirmation.  He did a perfect  job.  Brother B. certainly is growing.  It’s choice to see him exercise his Priesthood.

Sunday evening I said good-bye to the Kent 2nd ward in testimony meeting.  I knew I’d be leaving and had to thank them and leave them my testimony.  I’ve come to love Bishop J.  He is a strong and noble man.  His humility is his strength.  He’s just a great man.

August 15, 1970

I left Kent on the midnight bus on August 6.  It took ten hours to get to Lewiston.  I couldn’t sleep most of the way, so I read parts of a “trial” in which a pair of LDS missionaries defended the Church.  It is an interesting paper.

Lewiston has been a real shocker.  I did not know what to think (and am still wondering)  Elder T. is one of the finest missionaries I’ve ever met.  We got along very well from our first meeting.  He is straight-forward and speaks his mind.  He has a great deal of empathy, and deals with the Lewiston district loosely, but not at the expense of spirituality.  Sunday evening we held a fireside and had a testimony meeting.  We bore our testimonies at “DV” meeting also.  The importance of testimony is becoming dearer daily. 

Confusion reigned all last week.  I discovered the planning book was out of date and the area had not been worked in ages.  We had two “youth missionaries,” and Elder T. took one and left me the other.  He carried on his District Leader’s duties and I was left on foot in a huge, strange area with no instructions!  I figured I’d kill the week and T. could brief me the following week.  Monday T. received his transfer notice.  He was in Orifino interviewing an investigator, and did not return until Wednesday.  He never did get to show me the area.  Apparently, I’m responsible for three wards.

It was a bitter week for me.  I wanted to work with Elder T. and learn about the district.  I could not. I did not get along with the boy T. was with.  I felt he had usurped my job.  He thought he was the District Leader Companion.  I had a difficult time containing my temper.  There was nothing I could do to remedy the situation and it frustrated me. Nothing I did was effective.  I spent many hours at the M.’s because I had nothing to do and did not know a soul.  I struggled to overcome my ignorance of the area, but it was of no avail.  I couldn’t find maps, ward lists, or anything. Everything seemed to compound the situation.. I could not loosen up.  Wednesday T. packed and I went to a ball game to meet a contact. (He didn’t show) Afterwards we played hearts.  I could not keep a cool head.  Nothing satiated my inner anguish, even though the whole scene was out of my hands.  Thursday, we had a farewell for T. in Lapwai.  Nobody wanted to see him go.  He’s a great leader.  I restrained my restless emotions all day.  That evening T. and his youth companion went to M’s without me.  I was distraught. Oh, I couldn’t wait until Friday.  A new companion and a clean start.

During the week I burned off energy “scouring” the apartment. It needed it.  I also house trained the cat.  I do not feel a filthy apartment is conductive to a spiritual atmosphere. God doesn’t reign in confusion and filth.

Thursday evening Elder A. called.  He was not going to come to Lewiston until Sunday AM!  What a bite- no companion for two more days.  I’m so tired of being alone here in Lewiston!

The Lapwai and Orifino elders had to d some moving, so I took refuge at M’s Friday.  Sister M. and I had a few long talks.  She’s certainly a different person.  I feel a great love for her.  I still could not loosen up.  She called it a Puritan hang-up.  I just hate to waste time!

Although I have a lot ahead of me, I think much can be learned from this past week.  Getting up-tight doesn’t help anything.  I still must learn to relax and roll with the punches.  Elder T. said it was important for the Lewiston elders to remain as “themselves.” Rules cannot be imposed upon them.  They don’t like to be pushed.  The elders retain and cultivate their individuality.  I must do likewise, but first I must find myself.  Elder W. said I put on a front of living the rules 100% even though I know I don’t and know it’s not feasible.  Yet I’m most comfortable in an orderly, well disciplined atmosphere.  I prefer to plan my day carefully and in advance.  I do not like to rely on a day full of “on the spot” decisions.  I guess I’m sort of “straight arrow,”  I don’t “ let my hair down” very often. I think it’s a lack of faith in people.  I do not let them inside until I’m sure.  Certain people I trust right away.  In Lewiston I need to trust the elders.  I have to respect their judgement and way of doing things.  It’s one great big test of faith-faith in them and faith in me.

Monday, I went to LDSSA.  It was a choice meeting.  I knew LDSSA was an inspired program—the Spirit bore witness to me.  D.F. discussed the “Tree of Life” vision in Nephi.  We also discussed the "Parable of the Sower."   In discussing the tree, the fruit best represents our testimonies. We must continually partake of testimony to remain spiritually alive.   We must endure to the end.  The sower also speaks of different degrees of acceptance of the gospel.  But it goes further to speak of different “yields” of those who accept the gospel.    Thus, unlike the "Parable of the Talents" all start with an equal chance to succeed, but some progress to 30, some 60 and others 100.  It is a good picture.  The meeting was closed with a beautiful testimony meeting.  A non-member girl bore her testimony.  The Spirit was beautiful and strong. I’m looking forward to my labor here.  There is a great challenge in store for me.

***********************************************************************************

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewiston,_Idaho#/media/File:Lewiston_Idaho_and_Clarkston_Washington.jpg

Lewistown



coloring page- Parable of the Sower









Tree of Life - Nephi's Dream




Coloring page - Tree of Life

Comments

  1. This is Dad to a T. He likes order and has a hard time dealing with things that are digging into his time. It’s is nice to hear that getting upset about it doesn’t help. It’s a great reminder.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Missionary Journal April 8th, 1970

Missionary Journal March 21, 1970

Missionary Journal 1970