Missionary Blog Post

 



September 15, 1970

Another month has flown by.  It marks my eighth month out. I’m also preparing to leave Lewiston and meet my eighth companion!  The district has undergone many radical changes.  Elder T. took Elder P’s place and Elder T is from Big Bear Lake, California. He’s a very sharp greenie.  Elder C. is gone. Elder H. is replacing him.  Elder W. took B’s place! This week Elder A. is going to be Zone Leader in Zone 7.  The Lewiston District Leader is moving to Moscow, the Moscow brethren to Pullman and two new elders to Lewiston!  This is typical of the confusion that prevails here in Idaho.

My companionship with Elder A. was a strong one.  He is a determined personality and when we conflicted, we met head on.  That was good.  I had difficulty respecting his authority, but I did my best to support him always.  We worked hard to keep a unity in our companionship despite differences of opinion.  A lot of the problems arose because of the lack of dedication throughout the district. Elder E. had a very difficult time.  I did not know how to help him.  I figured the best thing I could do was back him up even as I didn’t agree with him. The district had a 75% turnover during the month.  The problem solved itself.  By being faithful to Elder A. we became closer and I grew stronger personally.

I’m on a crash program of studying The New Testament, my memorization scriptures, and reading Jesus the Christ.  It is a fabulous book.  

I never did get Lewiston into the shape I wanted it.  There are no up to date ward lists or any of the things I utilized in Seattle.  I feel now that the EMM program is the only effective way to work Lewiston.

We have been teaching Mrs B. and her daughters, T. and S.  Mr. B is an inactive member.  They believe the gospel is true, but he may hold up the baptism.  Yesterday we taught A. W., R. D’s girlfriend.

The LDSSA is going strong.  They meet twice a week.  There is usually a good spirit amongst them.   A couple of weeks ago they visited the Philadelphia House for a Bible Study Class.  This is a group of people who have left dope and are now “turned on” to religion.  They are hippie “Jesus Saved” type people.

There was a strong spirit there, but it was heavy, not like the Holy Ghost.  The lesson was on love in the gospel.  Their teacher was sincere, and he taught some truth, but he had not the fulness of the truth.  During their closing prayer one them spoke in tongues and they all murmured a lot.  It was eerie….I’d never experienced anything quite like that.  It strengthened my testimony of the goodness of the whole truth.

Another month has flown by.  It appears even my last entry was incomplete.  I’m now in Moscow with Elder G.  I finished Jesus the Christ. 

Our first weekend together was Stake Conference. It was a choice experience.  I also witnessed the dedication of two chapels. The weekend began in Moscow as Richard L. Evans dedicated the Moscow Chapel.  He told the story of the first seven missionaries who went to England. As they left the boat which carried them up the Thames, six leaped out-eager to begin.  The seventh could not bound out because “his purse was too heavy.” He was also the first missionary to leave his mission early and eventually he apostatized.  The moral is a heavy purse does not gain entrance into the Kingdom of God.  Often it’s a hindrance.  The people were commended for their sacrifices, monetary and otherwise, but were admonished to give to the Lord that which was his.

The priesthood session was choice.  Brother S. talked of his experiences in Vietnam.  He told of how his prayer, to protect his men were answered.  He also testified how the Word of Wisdom strengthened him on the battlefield.  He bore powerful testimony to the strength of the priesthood.  He spoke of missionary work in the armed services.

The whole meeting keyed on the role of LDS in the military—our obligation.  Brother B told of his service as an 18 year old during WWII and how he played in a band.  The temptations were tremendous, and no one from home seemed to support.  He received no letters from home -save from his dad, now and then.  They had to suffice, thus he struggled to keep clean.  He admonished us to support our boys in the service with letters and publications.  Brother H. introduced a film on military service.  It told how an LDS man can be at home in his calling. 

Elder Richard L. Evans spoke to the priesthood also.  He said that today we have “great problems and even greater opportunities.” He suggested we utilize our whole day—particularly the in between moments.  He told us that President McKay used to grab a book and read a few pages during his in between moments.  He commended activity in seminary, and institute..enduring to the end, “graduate!”


Sunday morning conference was well attended. Emphasis on youth was evident.  Elder Evans said early training is imperative.  “Goals must be set.”  “If we don’t change our direction, we’ll go where we’re headed.”  “We are now forming our eternal selves.”  “Don’t be wasteful.”  “No man has a destiny that does not have a knowledge of God.”

That afternoon Elder Evans dedicated the tiny Colfax chapel.  We sat in the front row a few feet from the Apostle’s feet.  The spirit he radiated was choice.  I found it hard to look directly at him, and yet I found it hard not to.  He was so at peace, such a beautiful man.  I felt I loved him- and that he loved us all.  His remarks were very pertinent to the Colfax Branch.  The Holy Ghost was with him.

Richard L. Evans




Richard Louis Evans (March 23, 1906 – November 1, 1971) was a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) (1953–71); the president of Rotary International (1966–67); and the writer, producer, and announcer of Music and the Spoken Word (1929–71).

Moscow 


Coloring page for Jesus

Comments

  1. Thanks mom for sharing!! I love that he takes such great notes of not just talks but how he feels about them and how he can work on his own life to improve.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Missionary Journal April 8th, 1970

Missionary Journal March 21, 1970

Missionary Journal 1970