Missionary Blog - Dec. 1970
December 25, 1970
December 25, 1970
Another month has flown by. It does not seem like Christmas is already
here. W. left Nov. 27th. …
I think the joy of the holiday season is making me feel a little more
charitable.
My new companion is Elder A.. W. He is a fine fellow. We’ve gotten along very well from our first
meeting. He’s a farm boy from Amalga,
Utah. He’s simple and straight
forward. Elder W. has many good traits,
but is not an expert in much of anything.
His strongest characteristic is making the best of what he has
available. This attitude carries through
not only with personality resources, but to practical situations. He’s forever repairing the bus, etc, with
apparently inadequate tools.
Elder W. loves the Lamanite people. He is very happy with his assignment
here. He does not get discouraged or frustrated. He is a good foil to my anxiousness and
impatience. Meanwhile I am debating whether to stay with this program or
not. I know the work is important. But I
have not made a firm spiritual commitment to it. I am always frustrated. I like things to proceed in an orderly
manner.,..the seeming utter chaos here drives me up a wall. I think I am slowly learning patience,
tolerance, long-suffering. I wonder how
long it will take.
I am not spiritual enough in my calling here. Spirituality is difficult to attain and
maintain. For me, I think I’ll have to
learn selflessness. I worry too much
about myself.
The Lamanite program needs a great deal of work and
direction. I feel I can eventually
accomplish this. Elder C. laid an
excellent foundation. It must now be
followed through. Although my strength
is organization, I cannot succeed here until I have a true, pure love for the
Lamanites. This is the only lasting
motivation in this work---love.
Baptisms, attendance numbers, etc. are not valid goals. A true love for these people and a desire to
help them improve must guide a Lamanite elder’s actions.
As I intimated before, the most difficult part of our
work here is lack of direction. We don’t know what to do under certain
circumstances. There is nobody to train
us or guide us. We’re like pioneers. I feel very strongly that Elder W. and I must
turn ourselves over to Heavenly Father’s guidance. We must set precedent and make “our own “
decisions. The program is a very
“natural “ one, that must be “played by ear,” in other words, we must listen
closely to the Spirit and respond instantly.
Our progress seems so slow here. Elder M. tells us we are building a
foundation. We must build it well. Today’s youth are tomorrow’s leaders. Meanwhile we must use Elder W.’s talent of
improvisation.
January 7, 1971
Another new year is here. . it is also the 4th
anniversary of my baptism. As I look
behind me many things have happened…some good, some bad…you can’t change
history. I guess we can learn by it thought, but that requires
objectivity. Today is here..it’s so
full!!! It overflows into tomorrow and
tomorrows’ tomorrows! As Elder G. said,
it’s the first day of the rest of my life.
It can be a marvelous beginning.
After all, we’re children of God.
We have a great and wondrous potential. Of course, each day must be
lived one at a time. Always keeping the eternal goal in mind; never marring the
path that will lead us back to our Heavenly family.
A little history…
Tomorrow will make my 6th week with Elder
W. It’s been a long haul. His love and enthusiasm have won me
over. The day he came to La Conner, the
air was bustling with excitement. The
first two weeks were a ferocious burst of energy..long hours, study classes,
early rising, new maps, gathering data, lots and lots of talk with
everyone. About that time the reality of
our area began to settle out of the dust we’d stirred up. We just could not change everything
overnight! As the pace slowed, I got
really frustrated, impatient. Elder W.
was relaxed and easy going. He tolerated
my scathing criticism and patiently waited for me to cool off. One time I did not “cool off” for two
days!! People are still reeling from
that blast of impatience and bad temper!
Often Elder W. takes as much or more patience, than the
Lamanites. He’s sort of like 24 hour OJT
for my impatience, or get an ulcer! I’ve
developed a great love for Elder W. This aids me. It helps me to calm my temper and be more
patient. I must develop this same love
for Lamanites. I think it is coming.
The first Friday I was with Elder W. we decided to ride
our bikes to Anacortes—some 11 miles away.
Somehow we got parted in La Conner.
He left without me; but he didn’t know the way! With a 30 minute head start I gave up trying
to catch hm. I turned back and went
after him with the bus. No Elder W.
anywhere between La Conner and Anacortes!
I was furious. Two hours later Elder W. arrive at the house..weary worn,
and without wheels! He had thought I was
ahead of him. He rode as fast as he
could. As he neared Anacortes he got
side tracked into the refineries. Lost,
he turned around and got headed to Mount Vernon. He was only 2 miles from Anacortes.. then paddled 10 miles to Mt. Vernon. Finally, he gave up, parked the bike, and hitch-hiked
home! He arrived home of course to be
greeted by an intermittently overjoyed and furious companion. In spite of everything, he smiled, make light
of his error and carried on, regardless!
Thus goes every day of our companionship. He blunders along full of love and
compassion; I have fits! (…and double
fits when I make the blunders!) Oh, what a life! ……I am going to have to be
more patient and loving.
One of our first days together Elder W. and I attended a
wedding. We assisted in every way we
could we really got wrapped up in helping. We’ve also gave one of the Catholic
sisters a Book of
Mormon. Sister B. is a wonderful
compassionate woman. I hope she reads
the Book of Mormon and prays about it.
As Christmas Eve approached Elder W. and I helped with
the Christmas Eve community program. L.
C. was in charge. We did all we could, but faded in the back stretch as flu
downed both W. and me. We spent all day
Christmas Eve helping out. The program
was a beautiful success. There were so
many happy young faces as presents were handed out.
A few days before
Christmas, T. S. arranged a Shaker Church meeting. Elder W. and I attended it..only 7 people
turned up and the service never got under way. The old Indian religion is
dying. It is a sad thing.
New Year’s Eve we went to a pow wow—the Smokehouse
religion. It was different. It was a very spiritual meeting—but the
spirits weren’t those of God or Christ or any of their angels. The worship was,
in fact, the antithesis of Christianity.
Yet, the fundamental ethics that found the Smokehouse belief are very
Christian. Of course, they are not
practiced outside of the pow wow; and even there, they’ve been changed. This is the end product of the apostasy that
took place on the American continent.
Since my last Zone Conference, we’d had 2 more
conference. The first was a Lamanite
Conference. Nothing significant was
accomplished or discussed. It pointed up the lack of unity amongst the Lamanite
missionaries. We’re close, yet so far
apart. I think Lamanite elders should be
encouraged to write to old areas and each other.
Yesterday was zone conference. It was a very spiritual
conference. The strength of Liahona
district was felt. A very spiritual
testimony meeting brought us all to tears.
Sister W. told Elder S.’s story.
He was dying of leukemia, yet he continued to fulfill his mission. He never quit.. he actually gave his
all. Elder M. reminisced. He’s been in the program a long time. He has seen the growth. He knows that the
work of elders of years gone buy is finally bearing fruit.
Monday Elder M. talked to P. W. She really is enthusiastic about our work here. As a result of her remarks Elder M. can confidently recommend that the President leave us here for a long while.
**************************************************************************
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Conner,_Washington
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anacortes,_Washington
Anacortes /ˌænəˈkɔːrtəs/ is a city in Skagit County, Washington, United States. The name "Anacortes" is an adaptation of the name of Anne Curtis Bowman, who was the wife of early Fidalgo Island settler Amos Bowman.[5] Anacortes' population was 15,778 at the time of the 2010 census. It is one of two principal cities of and included in the Mount Vernon-Anacortes Metropolitan Statistical Area. Anacortes is known for the Washington State Ferries dock and terminal serving Lopez Island, Shaw Island, Orcas Island, and San Juan Island, as well as Victoria, British Columbia (via Sidney, British Columbia) on Vancouver Island. There is also a Skagit County-operated ferry that serves Guemes Island, a residential island located across Guemes Channel, north of Anacortes.
| Mt. Erie Park, Anacortes, WA |

I don’t think all my comments are getting posted😢
ReplyDeleteI really liked this journal entry mom. I especially like the part where dad mentioned, “I am slowly learning tolerance patience and long-suffering. I wonder how long it will take?”🤣 Aren’t we all... it’s never ending. Also that he lost his companion 🤫🤔😬
ReplyDelete