November 3, 1970
Saturday was enjoyable. We worked at an education media fair. I got to see Elder H. and Elder T. Elder H. and I had a long talk. It’d like him as a life-long friend.
La Conner is a trial. Its’ a small town with nothing to do. There’s not even a bus to Mount Vernon. And Mount Vernon nothing much either!.....
The teaching aids in the Lamanite program are beautiful. Eight lessons are in the plan. Each has a flip chart discussion and a film strip. The material begins with the importance of the family and the plan of salvation. The discussions and the filmstrips and direct, almost blunt. The net effect of the presentation is that they pierce right to one’s heart. Just by studying the filmstrips much can be learned about the Lamanites. The Indians are suppose to be a very spiritual people; they talk from the heart. They are supposed to be a very disconcerting race- able to see right through you.
Another filmstrip series is the Tom Trails story. This touching presentation gets hold of your
heart and does not let go. Like a good
TV soap opera, you can’t wait for the next story. The message is universal-it
could teach not only Lamanites, but any one’s souls. I feel I have learned much from the films.
The Indians know who we are.
They accept us as their own religious ministers. They expect us to give them a spiritual
uplift. Although most are not LDS, they
consider themselves Mormons. As they
were to ever rid themselves of the plague of alcohol, they’d probably all
join the Church. Many have told me if
they ever joined a church, it would be the LDS.
November 16, 1970
I’ve been in the Washington Mission exactly 10 months
today. Time has flown by quickly. Soon a
year will be up. My progress in Lamanite work seems to be at a standstill. I am making that disastrous error of being
indecisive. I don’t know whether I want to stay in La Conner or return to the Anglo program. I must gird myself up and make my own
decision. It will require fasting and
prayer; I don’t think I’ll have a firm spiritual confirmation until I have
acted on one decision or another.
Meanwhile, time rolls on.
I got a letter from C.W. She
cheered me up with her usual positive remarks, but certain good news really
fired my bones! S.M. was baptized Oct 31st. I shouted for joy. A few days later S. wrote me. She is very happy; felt it was appropriate that she be baptized on “all saint’s day.” …
Thursday, the 12th, and Zone conference were
rapidly upon us. I had studied hard for
the blast. It’s my tendency to over
emphasize the blast. The day began early.
Elder W. was up at 5:00, the first time he’s been up before me,
ever. At 6:00 S. drove us to Mount Vernon. The President interviewed me right after
T. We talked for an hour. It was a penetrating interview. I came right out with the problems in La Conner.
As usual, he was positive and had a suggested course of action. It boiled down to working hard everywhere;
with the whites as well as the Lamanites in La Conner. He suggested using programs, setting goals,
planning and re-evaluating constantly,
He advocated teaching on the 3 week plan when possible. He feels, as I do, that the Lamanites are a
very special and choice people, but not all that different……
The entire conference was concerned with overcoming
challenges. It couldn’t have been more
appropriate for my companion and I. Elder
T. used the subject as a forum for voicing his ideas on certain mission
rules.
All things considered, it was a pretty good zone
conference. Mission rules are always
quite a topic of debate. But reasoning
doesn’t seem to help- elders still live the rules they want to and circumvent
the ones they don’t like.
Wednesday the 11th, I taught my first Lamanite discussion. It was a good experience. I felt well prepared and received some Spiritual guidance too. During the first few minutes of the discussion, we had some extra visitors. Mrs. J’s grandfather, Mr. S., came in with some of his family and friends. He is an old Shaker. His deep silence and strict attention to my presentation was strange to me. As I discussed the responsibility of parents to instruct their children about the gospel (e. the spirit world) his silence was broken. He explained, like the old sage he is, that the older folks did know about the spirit life. He was glad boys as young as us understood it. There is importance in teaching children about life after death and God.
***********************************************************************************
https://lovelaconner.com/
Coast Salish Peoples
We are a community of Coast Salish peoples descended from groups and bands originating from the Skagit and Samish River valleys, coastal areas surrounding nearby bays and waters, and numerous islands including Fidalgo, Camano, Whidbey and the San Juan Islands.
| La Conner WA |
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4zA4nC7WLE

Comments
Post a Comment