Missionary Journal 1971
January 1971
I suppose one of the
pressures on me is concern for my family.
I joined the church because I knew my family would be best here. As a Lamanite elder, we deal with and teach
about celestial families; Temple marriage.
But my calling is to lead the Lamanites to family happiness, not to seek
out my own family now. My day will
come. God has promised me that as I
remain clean and faithful.
I am writing this entry now
knowing full well that I intend for Sister S. to read it. I have
really enjoyed discussing the gospel with her.
..Our discussion Christmas eve was pertinent. We talked of discouragement, disappointment,
and ways Satan tries to keep us off the path of righteousness. Satan is clever. He’s always “reversing his field.” His basic
weapon is man’s tendency to be self-concerned.
Thus Satan turns defeat into discouragement—which is self-pity and
quitting. He turns success into pride and vanity—which kills humility. Since teachability is the key to eternal
progression, as Satan can get us un-humble, he has our progression
stopped. (regression sets in). Disappointment is natural – it’s part of life. But it is no reason to give up or to feel self-pity. It is to strengthen patience and long
suffering. After all, isn’t the 5th
principle that of enduring to the end and keeping ALL of God’s commandments?!
I’ve noticed that a truly
humble man is a happy one; and Elder W. is certainly the happiest fellow I
know. He’s not perfect-but someday he will
be.
I must stay in La Conner
until my calling here is complete. I
know God will strengthen me as I’ll do his bidding.
Four years have passed; oh, how I’ve grown.
And think, ahead of me (and we) IS ETERNITY.
The discussions become more
alive every time I study them or present them.
Constant review is necessary. Particularly
on those last four. The message they
tell is beautiful. I am gaining a
testimony of the spiritual nature and potential of man. I know for a certainty that there is a spirit
world and that we can be happy there.
Lamanites naturally cherish their families. They memorize verbally their genealogies. They know their 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. cousins. With this close feeling of family relation, the tribe is very close. As we teach the first few discussions, they know what we teach is true.
It is difficult to comment specifically on any family. They are all so close to us. We have hopes for all of them.
I could write until the sun rises. But tomorrow cannot be scuttled so
soon! I am grateful to God for the
blessings He has give us. I’m grateful
to be companions with Elder W.
Swinomish people are enrolled in the federally recognized Swinomish Indian Tribal Community, also known as the Swinomish Tribe, which is headquartered in Swinomish Village, across the Swinomish Channel from La Conner
“Everything starts and ends with the land and water. These are the Swinomish teachings and values
passed down from generation to generation.
We only need to listen and hear their teachings”
-Larry Campbell Swinomish Elder ( Swinomish Tribal Community )





Comments
Post a Comment