Missionary Journal


Swinomish Pow Wow Grand Entry Event  



February 20, 1971

Weeks and months go by swiftly  now.  I do not know where the time goes!  It is going to be difficult to catch up on the last six weeks.  Many things have  happened.  My feelings toward the Lamanite program have not stabilized very much.  In mid January I was ready to leave the program.  I seem to be motivated on a day to day basis.  Very many consecutive set-backs, and I am down on the program.....

The weather has really hampered our work.  It snowed in January and crippled transportation for days.  Unceasing rain followed causing floods.  It is clear one day in seven or eight...and when it rains it pours.

We've been to two more pow wows recently These functions are one of the few ways to look back into Indian culture.  But the picture is very distorted.  Indian culture is very regional at best.  There are many different languages, dresses, customs, yes, different cultures.  This alone shows the extent of the ancient American apostasy.  Lamanites totally alienated themselves one from another. 

At a recent pow wow B.J. received his Indian name.  This was occasion for great ceremony and oratory.  It is significant that upholding a name is so important to these people.  Oh, as they'd only learn to uphold the name of Christ.

I have a feeling that M. B. knows that the gospel is true.  Sister B. and I hade a long talk a while ago.  Maybe J. will go on placement next year.  The B. family is a large one.  Getting them active would certainly help us out.

Brother G. H. is now with the Lamanite program  He will be a great aid to us. He has already gotten P. and M. out to Church. Brother H. is sincere and dedicated.  He will do well in this work.

I don't feel like the discussions we teach reach our contacts.  I cannot feel the Spirit strongly as we teach.  We've testified strongly to R. and P. S., the the Spirit was there.  They know it's true, but they won't live it.  R. is ready to be baptized.  She is really shaping up.  I sure  hope M. comes along.

The Lamanites are very spiritual. They have great faith in the power and efficacy of prayer.  Today they opened their tribal council with a prayer.....

Tuesday evening after 9:30 we had a chat with Brother B.  He filled us in on some of the Lamanite programs. He also explained the relation of mission prexcis to Lamanite areas in white missions.  Indian areas always seem to suffer.  The British Col. mission is really hurting. Although the fact will remain, it will continue to hurt intensely.  I am determined to straighten things out in this mission or go for bust.  ...I suppose all in all the work is progressing okay, but it could go better.


****************************************************************************

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwnAmiJQUnk    to watch a Swinomish Pow Wow Grand Entry Event 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Missionary Journal April 8th, 1970

Missionary Journal March 21, 1970

Missionary Journal 1970