May 9, 1971
| Elder Rankin at Deception Bridge |
![]() |
| Anacortes |
![]() |
| Anacortes Harbor |
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg_s7HT3TNM (WATCH)
Anacortes is a city in Skagit County, Washington, United States. The name "Anacortes" is an adaptation of the name of Anne Curtis Bowman, who was the wife of early Fidalgo Island settler Amos Bowman. Anacortes' population was 15,778 at the time of the 2010 census. Wikipedia
A million and one things have happened very suddenly. I'll try to pick up the pieces from when we met S. It was a Monday morning after zone seminar. The time was 11:30. Our plan was short and we were gong to head home. We then got a strong feeling we should check out a referral which was on the way home. The referral was on Mrs. D. S. answered. What a surprise! We taught the 1st that evening. Wednesday we gave him a 2nd and Friday a 3rd. Lucky thing too, we had trouble catching him after Friday.
Elder H. found it easy to estimate S. I prayed and fasted ---when I finally repented, I too received an answer to my prayers. Elder H. and I got along well together. We had some funny times. The morning of District Seminar. I left him with the Bellingham DLC. Elder Hn. gave Elder H. the car keys. Hn. had no driving privileges. H. handed the keys back. He too had recently wrecked a car! We left for Seattle with the two DLC's deciding who'd break the rule!
That evening A.B. was baptized. Sister B. was there. We sang Jr. Sunday School songs. It seemed appropriate. I performed the baptism and confirmation. The service was very spiritual. Ten elders stood in on the confirmation. As I was confirming A. ,the first few words came out, but then there was a blank. I listened closely. Finally the remainder of A's blessing was revealed.
We began teaching Sister B. We also left her the Book of Mormon tapes. All of our follow up fell through. It was a disaster. I should have had the faith to estimate her. She wanted to be baptized at one time, but vacillated. I feel badly about losing her.
H. and I began working Anacortes after a call from President C. We set up a golden first discussion with P. B. Her husband, M., is a member.
Elder H. is a good Elder. He knew his stuff and has a good attitude. He'd have been good with the Lamanites. They liked him. He did not feel he was getting enough out of the Lamanite program. When the AP's came by he voiced his views. Elder H. and I set up a plan of salvation. (When, Why, Where) open house in La Conner for May 7th. We did not "get after" the 70's and wound up doing everything ourselves. (The Burlington elders helped out.) As it turned out, neither of us were there to see the open house.
The month of April was a difficult one. I did not feel the ward was adequately supporting us in La Conner. I really got up in arms. As a result the Sunday School received 3 new teachers and a bus driver (by May 2nd) Brother G. Sr. really got behind the program. I wanted out. Out of La Conner, out of the program.
Meanwhile the district rolled on. In Oak Harbor T. and S. left, M. came in and got a greenie, D. Work picked up in Oak Harbor with C.'s arrival. S. really felt bad. He is not a spiritual guy. He lacks faith in prayer. It was difficult to council him. He is a friendly, likeable fellow, but did not live the rules. By and large, he was successful missionary. I tried to bolster his self confidence. Elder T. is a sharp elder. He was trained poorly, nonetheless, his testimony and enthusiasms carried him through.
Elder M. is a good man. He is no fireball, but a consistent, stable sort. We had some very spiritual District Meetings. Liahona District is really going to go places, There was a unity of purpose and a closeness that was choice One morning after a inspirational discussion we had a testimony meeting. As it closed I felt inspired to give the district a blessing. We closed and sang both "Ye Elders of Israel" and #213.
![]() |
| Bill's mini missionary hymnbook |






Comments
Post a Comment