Missionary Journal for May 31st 1971

 The open house was a moderate success.  Six or seven non-members came.  The displays were well done.  It inspired confidence in the members.  Next time, maybe, they'll invite friends.  It's difficult to stay fired-up.  Port Angeles Ward isn't enthusiastic about anything.  They have embarked on a building they must raise money by September.  ...

The ward understands its responsibilities;...these people need to taste success for a change.  It will spear them on to more success.  ...I have pledged to do everything I can to support all of the ward projects. 

Immediate goals are to hold regular cottage meetings and firesides. As we can get the fellowshipping organs functioning we can begin to inject new life into the ward.  Investigators can be converted, and inactives activated.     It is amazing how even the active members can justify taking a weekend off.(Memorial day).  I really feel the ward mission council is going to pay off also.  It's a good vehicle for correlation and member missionary training.

Generally speaking, ...I don't feel like I'm accomplishing anything now..and that's a waste of time and money.  I need to re-dedicate myself and stop messing around.  My time is short. The month of June is already laid before us, and the board is blank.  This just won't do.  DL's seminar is coming up.  I'm looking forward to it.  

Last week we taught a golden first discussion.  But the G's decided not to continue.  It's been ages since I have taught all six discussions.  The other day Elder P. and I set up a number of golden contacts.  With luck, they'll pan out.

June 11, 1971

Elder D. left this morning; my new companion, Elder A., is unpacking now.  It's been difficult to orient myself to Port Angeles.  The whole ward has a negative attitude problem.  Consequently the missionaries have a rough time with PMA.  My attitude has been very poor; almost defeatist.  Nonetheless, realizing that only positive action achieves success, we've been planning positively.

Recently I read Spencer W. Kimball's The Miracle of Forgiveness.  I learned a lot about the principle of repentance and becoming a celestial person.  We must perfect ourselves through repentance--it is a matter of self mastery. After we've done all we can do, God glorifies us according to our works.

About ten days ago I went to the District Leader's Seminar.  I had to leave the night before to get there. Again, it was a good meeting.  The topics were well covered.  Most of them dealt with using auxiliaries or summertime challenges. 

We held a collage meeting Monday at the W's house.  We showed the filmstrip, "What is a Mormon?"  It went over very well.  L. W. had a friend there, S.  He came with the intention of really shooting us down.  There was no spirit of contention.  S. was favorably impressed. Hopefully we can encourage more families to open up their homes in this way.

Elder A.

Tonight is stake conference.  Milton R. Hunter will be there.  We will spend the entire weekend in Bremerton.  We'll leave Monday after zone seminar.  I think Elder A. and I are going to get along well together.  

Mom called yesterday.  It was good to hear from here.  I spoke to Pat also.

***********************************************************************************

Milton Reed Hunter was an American author, educator, and religious leader in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He served as a member of the church's First Council of the Seventy from 1945 until his death in 1975. Wikipedia
BornOctober 25, 1902, Holden, UT
DiedJune 27, 1975, Salt Lake City, UT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Missionary Journal April 8th, 1970

Missionary Journal March 21, 1970

Missionary Journal 1970