JULY 9, 1971

Port Angeles Harbor

Port Angeles City
















The past few weeks have been difficult ones.   The trip to Bremerton was bad for Elder A. and me.  It got us started on the wrong foot.  I've had a fundamental message driven home to me..success in missionary work is simply hard work.  The good feeling comes not only from baptisms, but in knowing you've been thorough and dedicated.  It is impossible for me to tell  now whether my mission is a success.  I'll know in 5 or 10 years from the type of life I'm living then.

There are many things I want to do in life.  Unless I consolidate my goals and aspirations, I won't get any of them done.  First I must list all of the things I wish to attain in this life and the next.  Then I must rate them in order of importance.  My mission has certainly given me a new perspective on eternal goals and eternal principles.  It seems as we can govern this life by eternal principles we are doing all we can do to return to Heavenly Father.  

Getting back to the present..the best days we've had have been the ones we've worked..Simple, eh?

A few weeks ago we taught a sixth discussion to R. C.  I interviewed him.  He was baptized the following Saturday morning.  It's the first baptism I'd ever "walked" into.. Ironically enough in the next few weeks we picked up 'credit' for three more that we neither taught nor baptized.  It was merely a matter of filling out the pinkies and getting the witnesses to sign them.  "Credit" baptisms have an ironic satisfaction.  Almost like a gift you don't deserve..you don't enjoy it as much as ones you've worked hard to earn. 

My behavior has been poor lately.  I think I'm getting lazy.  I'm not pushing myself or my companion.  Two or three times I've began to work hard, or to diet, or make some other needed change.  Each time, I've weakened and failed.  Elder A. must think I'm a terrible hypocrite.  Maybe I am.  Talk doesn't replace action.

I've been studying hard for zone conference.  I really know my 85 now.  That is a surprise to me!  It has given me confidence in myself.  My knowledge is waxing strong.  There are a lot of good things going for us here in Port Angeles. We have a lot of good call backs.  I think a spiritual strengthening will pull some of them through.  God won't let us teach them unless we are ready (D&C 42:14).  That is sort of a blessing; he's not letting us damn ourselves!

July 21, 1971

Sunday things got a good start.  Elder A. and I ate at home.  We prepared our talks for sacrament service and opened our fast.  The afternoon was spent preparing talks.  I've never been so well prepared!  The Holy Ghost helped me with my notes.  I was prepared to speak on baptism and the Gift of the Holy Ghost.  A. elected to speak on faith and repentance  

The Lamanite elders bore their testimony at the beginning of the meeting.  Brother B. then spoke on home teaching and missionary work.  He is another convert that has really grown.  Elder A. gave his talk.   He doesn't like public speaking.  He stumbled along as best as he could until the end.  Then as he bore his testimony, every ear was closely attuned.  Elder A. had a glow that warmed the whole chapel.  My talk went very well.  I had to abridge it to keep the time limit.  Prior to getting up we had the congregation sing a song.  They were getting restless.  I really felt confident as I spoke.  Once again, the Holy Ghost bore strong witness as I got to my testimony .  As he closed the meeting, Bishop W. mentioned the importance of the basics of the gospel.


****************************************************************************


Port Angeles is a city in and the county seat of Clallam County, Washington, United States. With a population of 19,038 as of the 2010 census, it is the largest city in the county. The population was estimated at 20,229 in 2019 by the Office of Financial Management. Wikipedia




D&C: 42:14 "And the Spirit shall be given unto you by the prayer of faith; and if ye receive not the Spirit, ye shall not teach."




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Missionary Journal April 8th, 1970

Missionary Journal March 21, 1970

Missionary Journal 1970